Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Belo Horizonte

Remember that trip I took back at the beginning of January to Belo Horizonte with my MIL? Well let’s just say, I will only be traveling as long as Sidnei is with me or unless I just go alone. We will leave the details to that. Because as Thumper said, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

So here is the nice stuff.

We took a train on the way there and despite it being suffocatingly hot (it doesn’t count if it is strike out, just so you know) and the scenery was beautiful! With the rolling mountains, blue skies, and the array of green everywhere, everything, it is a sight to behold. Truly.  I didn’t start taking any pictures until the sun was setting. Mostly because it was too hot to hold anything but water. In fact, I stripped down on the train. Next time we’ll be taking an air conditioned unit. This is Sidnei’s gorgeous cousin, Taina (ty-na), can you believe she’s only 14??

Belo Horizonte 005

Belo Horizonte 012

The train is SUPER long. Can you see it heading into the sunset on the bend?

One of the FABULOUS parts of Belo Horizonte is how much cooler it is than Ipatinga. I enjoyed that part VERY much. I even slept without a fan and I was cool in the mornings. I needed my jacket. Heaven people.

The other FABULOUS part was I got to meet Corinne! I was so excited to be able to hang out with someone and speak English to my heart’s content! And get tips and pointers on doing things! That is always a plus! And we went to Outback Steakhouse and had a blooming onion. It was REALLY good. (I’m going to be the girl that goes to visit home and comes back 20 pounds heavier. I miss my processed American food. So sue me. I want a funfetti cupcake people. And that’s not to say I don’t enjoy the food here, I do! But I want sour cream! Tortilla chips and salsa!…you get the picture) Anyway Corinne was fabulous enough to put up with the ‘guidelines’ that were given to me by my in-laws, give me lots of great information, and even extended an invite back! I can’t wait to come back, go see the sites, and partake in the big city fun! Thanks Corinne!

Here are pictures from my trip!

Belo Horizonte 036

Here we are in Parque Municipal in downtown Ipatinga.

Belo Horizonte 041

Me in Praca do Liberdade!

Belo Horizonte 043

The view from where we were staying at night…

Belo Horizonte 051

Day time…

Belo Horizonte 054

Me with Sidnei’s Aunt Lete and cousin

Belo Horizonte 058

The glorious dawn on the day we were leaving!

I am excited to go back to Belo Horizonte to be able to see more! Hopefully we’ll be making that trip soon! There is so much to do and see!

5 comments:

Fabiola said...

I've never been to BH, but it looks like a wonderful city to see ; )

Corinne said...

Glad you had a good time and hope you come back soon so we can hang out more. BTW, to make quasi sour cream, take 1 box of creme de leite and squeeze the juice of one lime into it. Add a little salt to taste and stir. Let it sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes then keep in the fridge. Not great for cooking, but works as a topping!!

Oh, and it is the Municipal park in Belo Horizonte :)

Shannon said...

Actually, stifling hot sounds kinda good right now. It's been so cold here! I know, the grass is always greener....

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

The nice stuff sounds really nice:) Probably best you left out the other stuff.

And, 14? No way!

Anonymous said...

On one hand, I'm so jealous you're living in Brazil and having this glamorous, romantic experience. On the other hand, I'm so glad it's not me! Thanks for sharing the stories with us. :)