Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Mish Mash

First of all... Happy Veterans Day!

To all those in the Armed Forces and the families that support them...I don't want anything I say to sound trite (is that the right word? Im drawing a blank here...) but I am so grateful for all that you do. Your service to this country moves me. The sacrifices you make pull at my heart strings and we are all eternally in debted to you for everything you give up, so that we may have everything.



This is one of my favorite patriotic pictures:


Back to my anonymous bloggers questions, which I am sure you are all wondering the answer to now! So the fact is, it is my fault that Mr. S and I went to St Thomas. I was so naive about the immigration system and the way it worked. I had done all the research and thought it would not be easy, but that it was possible to make sure Mr. S got his papers here once we were married. It is not. It is difficult. I know this now. They told me had we put in an I-130 form before we left on our honeymoon, Mr. S would be here with me now. This I did not know. Immigration proceedings are kept pretty hush, hush, --not that it's secret, people just don't talk about it, it's a sensitive subject--so it is hard to get an accurate picture without being in the midst of it. Anyway to make a long story short, you only need your driver's license to go to St Thomas, you don't need a passport since it is an U.S. Territory. Well Mr. S has a driver's license (along with a business license, a bank account, a car vehicle loan, and our marriage license--in case you were wondering) and so I thought it would be no big deal. The thing I didn't take into account was having to go back through customs. Which is where our problem took us. The customs agent asked if Mr. S was a citizen, and Mr. S doesn't lie. He said No. So basically it is not my fault because Mr. S should not have come to the States without documentation, but it is my fault for not thinking and just acting. For not listening to Mr. S when he said, "Mrs. S, I am worried, are you sure this is okay?" I am haunted every day with my decision and I am guilt ridden with it.

Mr S was charged not only on the immigration side, but on the criminal side as well. Which does not always happen, but they decided to go ahead and charge Mr. S with Trying to enter the states without proper documentation. There is better legal jargon for it, but that is basically what it is. So we are still waiting on the criminal side, though right now we have a motion to dismiss in. So we are hoping that goes through and then we will have the immigration side to contend with, but that should go fairly quick compared to the criminal case. It has been very frustrating and difficult. I really appreciate everyone being so supportive of everything that has gone on. I am sure there are many of you that feel for me, but at the same time know that what Mr. S did was wrong. And let me tell you, I am right there with you. But I can tell you this, we are willing to do whatever we need to do to make things right. Mr. S was here illegally, but he did not hide from the government. He applied for a tax I.D. number and has been paying taxes since he started working here. He has never taken any help nor has he ever taken anything that wasn't his. Mr. S is a good person. Until this time, he has never been in any trouble. Was it wrong for him to come here without receiving proper documentation first? Yes, absolutely. But I tell you with the sincerest of hearts, we are willing to do whatever we need to do to correct the situation. I know that there are those who will still disagree with me, and I understand, but I ask you not to leave rude comments. Though I never had anyone leave me rude comments before and of that I am so appreciative! And I know I went from talking about Veteran's Day to Immigration in one foul swoop, but that's the way the cookie is crumbling today.

Alright now that I have gotten that off my chest! I am going to the doctor's office. I did go to work today, but I am having issues with a swollen lymph node (as my tonsils are now gone) and it's very, very tender. I don't like it. So I am buckling down and taking myself to pay outrageous amounts of money to the doctor since work cancelled my medical insurance. Yippee. But I am grateful for my job even without medical insurance. (that was my positive outlook shining through by the way!) But other than that the fever seems to have subsided. So, who knows, but I figure I better just go. Better safe than sorry right??

Last piece...what is the deal with advertisements on the blog? You do them, you don't do them? You like them, you don't like them? You think they are a sell out? They are a good way to earn a buck? I got approached, so I am just curious. Lemme know :)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for Veterans Day! Both of my in laws are veterans so we feel some pride today :)

I wish there were some means to make this get fixed quickly! There are too many illegal people that don't care to make it right or are abusing the priviledges that we pay for BUT he is NOT one of those people and deserves to be here!!!! Please don't ever feel guilty, you wanted to have the perfect honeymoon! Plus asking "what if" just makes you sad and dwell on the past, so never feel that way.

Hell I say take whatever money people wanna throw at you and send them my way too! I probably don't have a big enough following for anyone to want to advertise on my page ha ha Go for it girl!!

mrsmouthy said...

If my opinion counts, I think you and Sidnei sound like the best kind of people out there. Can't wait for the blog post when everything is cleared and you two are back together!!

And since I'm giving my opinion...go for it with the ad! I'd be so proud of myself if I even got approached, I wouldn't be able to say no! That being said, I never even notice ads on people's blog sites so I don't think it would be a major change or sell-out. You go girl!

ko said...

Wow! I just feel so bad for you two! Try not to feel guilty! I am so sorry! You guys are not Criminals, and I am sad that Sidnei is being treated like one.
Bless you today

Leo said...

Having lived in Brazil "illegally" for a year, I can kind of relate. Immigration laws are not always the most logical of things. Case in point, I was told that to get Brazilian citizenship, I would have to live in Brazil. Funny thing is, I'm not technically supposed to live here, until I am a citizen. Wurrrwhat? I can't open a bank account, rent a movie, get a legal job, put a bill in my name. As far as the government is concerned, I don't exist, and I have to tred ever so lightly until I do.

Best of luck to you.

AndreaLeigh said...

What is done is done and the important thing now is that you are both making it right. We all make mistakes and the only difference is that the rest of us don't get called out on the mistakes we made.

As always, I wish you the best and will be praying for you both!

Mc Allen said...

wow, I can't imagine what you have been through... I'm certain it will work out and we are here if ya need to talk, er, type about it!! ;) LA

Unknown said...

Wow. Again. Do ads girl! You write on your blog why not get some passive income? Sign up with BlogHer ads - get on their waiting list.

Unknown said...

Oh, so I understand a little better now.
No, I will say that what he/you did was wrong, BUT I commend you BOTH for making it right. Sidnei is not a criminal and the fact that you guys want to do what is right makes you great people. Neither of you were 'living' off of our system; you yourself said that he paid taxes, has a business, a drivers license, etc... I figured when he married you it would have made it 'OK' for him to be here. Shows what I know. :( Please don't beat yourself up about this though. You were trying to make your special day, special. Worrying now about what you should or shouldn't have done is useless and will not help you now. I know that is not you; you always look for the positive in things, so look to the future when he is home with you again. :)

Vanessa Rogers said...

I am very sorry for that frustrating situation. Don't blame yourself, that isn't helpful to you or to him. I hope for ya'll sake that this does not continue on for much longer! Does it not make it easier that he is married to a US citizen? doesn't that automatically make him a citizen?
My husband and I have been trying to go to Korea to teach English for nearly 8 months, but he keeps being denied a diploma for stupid reasons. He has been fighting to get his diploma for over a year and a half so we can start our lives. Our problems are not as hard as yours, but I can relate to the frustration factor on trying to deal with bureaucracies.

Anonymous said...

wowzer...

nobody better leave you any rude comments!

I'm sorry you're still not feeling well.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a positive spin you put on things!

I'm glad that you are able to look past the mistakes and look toward the future.

And, get money for the ads whenever you can.

Unknown said...

All I have to say about you and Sidnei's situation is that I don't know how you do it, being away from him after you just got married. My heart and prayers got out to you my friend.

I think ads are fine as long as you don't get "over loaded" with them. Might as well make a few extra $$ while you're bloggin', right? ; )

Rebecca said...

Oh, what a hard thing to go through. I can't imagine. Be strong!
Over from SITS~

Mom and Me said...

Mrs De Miranda,

Thanks for visiting slow news and I hope things get worked out for you and your husband real soon. I know how hard it is not to get discouraged but please just keep the faith and keep fighting I am sure it will all be worth it when you finally have him home.

Have a good week being saucy.

Micki

MaricrisG said...

I feel for you. I have just finished with my last league with the immigration and I'm finally a Citizen of the US (thankful that I don't have to deal with the immigration anymore-ack!) I wish you the same with Sidnei. I hope everything goes well. Hang in there!
Btw, Congrats for being a SAUCY blog!

Maricris
SITStah

Bonnie Matthews said...

Found you only because I have a Google alert set for "Myrtle Beach" and then read your whole story. Wow. Shouldn't have read it at work....left me in tears. Good luck with everything. I'll check back to see how things are going.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I go here - browsing about. I'm Brazilian. I hope things will be fine. I mean it. And if you ever need to come live here, don't worry. You'll make it anyway! And ads are totally fine, unless they "pollute" the page. Ads can't be dancing or blinking or singing. Content is far more important - loads of people give up on pages that have too many ads. Otherwise, if you write well and have some ads, your friends end up clicking on them at least to help you. Cheers