Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unemployment is for the birds…

Beach! 115

See that smile right there? It’s laid back, it’s happy, it’s CONTENT. I love content.

Do you know why I am so content? I’ll tell you.

People, I have joined the ranks of the employed. You are looking at a teacher of Business English, here in Ipatinga. Okay, honestly, what you are really looking at is a girl who is content because she FINALLY got a little time on the beach to read a book, because thank goodness her husband’s uncle came with us, and she didn’t have to listen to, “Why do you like to read so much?” or “How come you don’t want to talk to me?” or “When do you want to go back to the hotel?” GAHHHHHHHHH, can a girl get a little peace to do one of her most favorite things in the world (read on the beach)? Can we get a little self entertainment please? Someone remind me to bring the boy some magazines next time.

Back to the point—I have a job! I’m getting paid! And most importantly, though it’s only the first week, I’m really enjoying myself!

Though as a disclaimer, Sidnei would like the entire world to know (because his breadwinner, man of the house, macho-ness is sensitive) that it’s not because I NEED to work. He can provide for me. I WANT to work. Alright? Good. (Though a little padding at the end of the month never hurt anyone right? Exactly.) Moving on.

I started teaching on Monday, which was quite the surprise. Before we left for vacation, the school called, desperate for another teacher, so I rushed around taking English reading, writing, and listening tests. Interviewing, discussing terms, hours, etc. I was supposed to train the Friday and Saturday before we took off and start the Monday I got back, but they just couldn’t make it happen. So they never called and I just figured they had to cancel it.

Well lo and behold, on the Sunday we got home, I received a phone call from the coordinator asking me if I was still coming to teach the next day. Although surprised…and not really surprised all at the same time (unorganized chaos tends to rule supreme here)…I was still excited and eager.

So I’ve been teaching the last couple of days and I love my Monday and Wednesday group the best. One of the best things for me, is finally being able to teach instead of learn. I have been on a steep learning curve (new city, language, culture, etc) for almost 10 months now. It’s refreshing. I feel like I have some purpose, direction. Friday and Saturday I will spend all day training and next week we will begin “official” lessons.

Seriously, even though it’s just a couple hours a week, I’m so glad to have a job! Staying at home has not been very ideal for me. Especially seeing as I have no house (of my own) and no kids. It’s just me. And when that’s the case…as the title states..it’s for the birds.

17 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Congrats Stephanie! I know how it is to be unemployed with no kids (BORING!!) so I'm glad you have something fun to do to fill your time and it's productive!

Nani said...

Yay!!!! Congrats Stephanie! It's good for your sanity to have a job when you are living in a different country! I am glad you are enjoying it. Good Luck!!!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! You go girl!

Lisa Q

Samantha said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a fun job. That you don't HAVE to do. That you WANT to do. ;)

Jim said...

Congratulations. Getting out of the house because you have responsibilities is the perfect antidote to feeling like an extra in someone elses movie.

Good for you.

Where are you teaching?

Megan said...

Woohoo!! Congrats! That's awesome!! =)

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!! That is so exciting. I am glad you enjoy it too. I bet it will help you further with their language as well. What a blessing!

Amanda X said...

Way to go Steph!!! I am happy for you! You are sounding very happy and that makes me smile.

xoxo-amanda

Ballerina Girl said...

Good for you! Congrats!
Keep enjoying, and it will be a learning experience for you also, I bet!
How funny but how true when you said how it is unorganized chaos here...that is so true. For the life of me, I can't figure out how anything really gets done?! But it does somehow!

Anyways, glad things are picking up ther ein Itaningha!

BG

Lin said...

That's so great, congratulations!

Beautifully Simple said...

congrats on the job!!

I lol-ed at the disclaimer from your hubby.. im really happy for you!

Vanessa Rogers said...

That should keep your mind working hard! That sounds like a great gig! p.s. I left you an award on our blog. It will show up tomorrow so check then. :)

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Congratulations...on both the wonderful vacation/anniversary AND your new job.

Unknown said...

Ro is the same way with his "you don't have to work, I'll work and you can stay home" Ummmm if I wanted to do nothing all day I'd rather be rich doing it so i'll get a job thank you! Lol, really proud of you, that is my next step in my Brazilian life!

Eve said...

That's Awesome!
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Ashlea said...

Just wanted to say that your blog is very inspiring and got me really emotional! A friend of mine posted your blog on hers as a favorite. I really related to your story alot, I met my Chilean husband in Orlando and we were engaged 7 months later and married in oct of 2003. We went on an immediate honeymoon and were in a similar situation on the way back from Mexico. By some miracle from God he got through with me. We´ve since been through many difficult times, but I thank God for those for strengthing our relationship and bringing us closer together. Anyway not to bore you, just wanted to say keep up the writing and Good Luck to ya´ll in Brazil. Greetings from Santiago Chile!

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME!! I hope it continues to be just as much fun.