Sunday, July 10, 2011

Here I am!

It has been so. dang. long.

Here's the thing. I stopped blogging for two reasons..the first is my school schedule has been a little crazy. It is keeping me busy and I really love it!

The second is that I didn't want to complain all. the. time. But here's the thing: It keeps me sane. Things here have been difficult. So first, my apologies for my complaints. And most importantly, a big thanks for always being in my corner.

Moving right along....

I really love working at my school. I really feel like I got lucky. I feel like I have a good boss, who has always been fair with me. But most importantly, I have made some really great friendships with the other teachers there! Also this semester was my first semester teaching kids 7-9. I absolutely LOVED it. It was really so much fun...I don't want to teach regular people anymore. So today I'm going to end my post with some pictures from the semester with my kids.

Here is one group, showing off their actors they made for the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes"


This group is my youngest...they are a lot of fun...but challenging at the same time!
These three girls have been at the school together since they were 3. We had good times, we had bad times. Sweet faces right? Let's just say.... we all survived this semester!
Don't tell anyone, but this is by far my FAVORITE group. They were so much fun! I hope I get this group again next semester :)
Here they are dancing to the music we have to sing every.single.class. Every once in a while I let them go crazy with the dancing..it was one of those days.
At the end of the semester, we combined two groups for a movie day. So after filling them with soda and popcorn, right before lunch, we also gave them a big fat cupcake. They loved it. And well frankly, so did I!
I can't wait until next semester starts! I am slowly but surely pushing out adults and getting more kids classes. The school really isn't thrilled since "I have such a high level of English, they would rather put me in higher levels", but I really love it. And I want what I want! Not only that, but I have heard horror stories about teaching the teenagers...and I'm just not quite ready for that. The kids don't really understand that I don't understand all their portuguese (especially because holy crap, they talk REALLY fast), so they don't use it to their advantage. Teenagers however, in my opinion would have a field day. We had a spanish teacher one year when I was a sophomore in high school and english was her third language...and not her best. We were NOT nice. I would say I regret it...but she kinda deserved it. Anyway, I remember how we were...I'm not ready for that. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm not thick skinned enough.

Anyway to wrap up this book...LOVE the kids. Can't wait to do it again. For now I have a break in the day, and I am only working at night. So it's like semi-vacation. But I'll take it!

And I'm backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Let's hope I stick around because I missed you guys! And I so wish I could come to the blogger meet up on the 16th! Keep having them, I swear I'll make it out to see you all soon!

6 comments:

Nani said...

How cute Stephanie!!!
It's good to hear from you again. I've missed your posts.

I would probably have done the same. Little kids can be challenging but they are way more genuine than teenagers. Teenagers are mean. I was thinking about doing some substitute teaching here but I did not want to do it at the High School. NO WAY!!! I would substitute at the elementary school. But I ended up not doing that cause it was too much work and I had only a month before summer, it wouldn't be worth it money wise. Anyways, happy to hear that you are happy with what you are doing!!

Betty W said...

Good to see you posting! Sounds like you are really integrating into your husbands country. Any hope of him being able to come back to the US yet?
In the meantime you are doing the right thing and keeping busy and enjoying life. Hope you keep on posting here.

Unknown said...

zI have missed you Steph!! It sounds like work is going great and I hope you can keep teaching the kids. I bet it can be a lot of fun and you are so good with kids. I bet they love you to pieces!

Please keep blogging abd complain all you want, that is what we are here for!

Unknown said...

Please ignore all of my spelling errors, I shouldn't type while I am in a hurry!

Lin said...

Love all of the photos! Looks like you have a lot of fun at work...sure beats sitting in a cubicle haha.

Glad you're back :)

Mrs. Carioca said...

yes, kids are fun but not teenagers! I think I like the youngest kids the best. It's great that you have small classes.