Friday, July 22, 2011

Heads Up

Hello my fellow bloggers! Guess what? I'm a couple days late (or a week) but I'm coming to Rio!!

But of course I am not coming for fun. Boo to the hoo for that. I am coming because I am in need of a document. Remember a couple of days ago when I asked for a little help ? Well things have gotten interesting since then.

If you are look for some answers here they are. So after Corin left a comment on that post she suggested contacting the embassy. They should have some answers for me. Turns out they DO! There is this thing called an inscription letter that lists all your legal names, your parents name, your date of birth, and place of birth. Which is excellent considering I don't have any documents (aside from my birth certificate which is a whole other problem in itself) with my parents name...which here in Brazil they don't like...seeing as just about every legal document here shows your parents name. *sigh* I'm having all kinds of documents issues. Anyway going back, you can get this paper and it should solve problems. Well, supposedly.

So the interesting part, is I was planning on trekking it out to Governador Valadares today to go talk to the Federal Police about my problem. But yesterday while I was at work, the Federal Police came to ME! Well, actually, they came to do my interview (the one that makes sure I actually live here, with my husband, in a "true" marriage kind of way) and it went fine. Except for the part where everything was a mess. That was embarrassing, but I wasn't here...so I pretend it's all good. Thankfully my sister in law was and Sidnei arrived right as they were leaving. Things should be good on that end.

Anyway they told us to solve this problem, we needed to talk to a specific guy that handles foreigners, except he's the boss and comes in when he wants to. (how very typical) So I waited to call this morning to make sure he was there. Want to know the funny part? He's on VACATION. (also very typical) But we talked to another girl, who INSISTS, that the South Carolina state government must change their document. Which, um, is NOT going to happen. She also insisted the catorio would add a statement onto my translated and legalized Brazilian marriage certificate stating that I was allowed to use my married name. I am going to go talk to them today (I know the big wig at the one here, husband of another teacher), but I don't think that is going to fly either.

So the point being, I'm going to go get this document. Is the consulate far away from the bus station? (I'll be going by bus) Will I be okay all on my lonesome? Anyone want to have lunch while I'm there? :)


(Did any of that make any sense people? I'm on a holy crap I need to get this resolved and the PF are not being helpful tailspin.)

(Oh yeah, if you are coming to Brazil with a loved one? For Pete's sake, just get married here and save yourself the hassle.)

7 comments:

Adrienne said...

lol. I am not sure if it is really easier to get married in the US or Brazil. I think it's a toss up. Your experience depends on the person who accepts or rejects your forms.

Meredith said...

I got married in the US and so far so good (crosses fingers). We got married as soon as my husband arrived in the US (we'd met in Brazil and I'd taken him to the US on a fiance visa). Now we're in Brazil and I've been OK so far. I requested for a perm res visa while in the US and my trip to the Policia Federal went well (but maybe that's because I'm working for an international school here and they took all the new teachers there).
We registered our marriage in the consulate in Miami and that went well. I was able to use that document to change my name on my CPF since I'd gotten that in my maiden name years ago when I worked here. Maybe I've just been really lucky, or maybe I'll have problems in the future (?). I sure hope not. I think we still have to register our marriage here at a cartorio...

Then again, maybe it was easier for me because everything I have is in my married name (besides the CPF).

Good luck!

Corin said...

Let me know how it goes so that I'll know how to get mine!

Jim said...

The rodoviaria is a bit of a ways from the US Consul General building, but there should be numerous options. It is near Cinelandia - so plan to take a walk over there for lunch - the Federal Library, National Arts building and Municipal Theater are all spectacular.

When you get to the Consulate - DO NOT wait in that LONG line. Just flash your passport to the guard at the entrance and he will let you in (citizenship has its privileges). US citizen services are on the second floor.

Corinne said...

Stephanie,

I had to have my marriage certificate altered bc it had my mother's maiden name originally (since that was what was on the birth certificate) and the PF did not like that. The cartório, after being shown a doc that my mom had drawn up in the US (which sounds similar to your inscription consulate letter), added a paragraph basically saying that the person with my mother's maiden name and the person with her married name were both the same person and my mother. SO, I am sure the cartorio will issue you an altered marriage license once you have this letter from the consulate. Many of the regular buses (outside the rodoviaria and down the street aways) that go to the Zona Sul head near or right by the consulate. I think the 179 to Alvorada or 178 should get you there. Also, it is not too bad a taxi cab fare (should go over R$20, and probably less). It might just be easier to take a cab.

Alex said...

Hi! Just found your blog and love it! How is it that I didn't see yours before? Were in the same circle!

I will continue to read!

Abracos,
Alex

Unknown said...

I did almost the same thing as Meredith, and have not had any trouble yet. Well all except for somehow not getting a landing card. I might have to pay a fine or make some written testament that I did not get a landing card. you know how Brazil is.

But they rarely have foreigners here, so the FP guys were pretty excited to have an AMERICAN in their office. One of them even took the opportunity to speak English with me.