Saturday, January 17, 2009

We Are Okay

I long for days of make believe. Days of melting popsicles, sitting by a pool, days of endless playing with friends. The times of long summer nights. Nights with flashlight tag, capture the flag, tents, and tree houses, times that seemed they'd never end.

Those were simple times or least you could get lost in them and make them seem that way. It was much easier then. I never understood what my parents were always so uptight about. Why they were always fighting. I get it now. Money, jobs, bills, stress, stress, stress, stress.

We found out very late on Thursday night about Circuit City's liquidation. For my family it is a devastating blow. My Mom has worked there for a long time. Close to twenty years. My bonus dad is also employed by them. It is a scary time, a time of uncertainty. Though as difficult as this is, by law Circuit City is required to give the employees 60 days, and they are SO grateful for the time they do have to get as much in order as possible. They will still have to have team at the corporate offices to wrap everything up, and most likely that will be my mother's department as well. At least we are hoping and that will give her a little more time to find a job and maybe keep things going until my bonus dad to find work. I just feel SO bad for them. My heart aches for them. For the uncertainty it has caused them...It is a familiar feeling for me and I am truly sick for this.

Does this come at a huge shock? Yes and No. Yes because this is a HUGE retail giant in our nation. And as my Mom put it, never in a million years would I have dreamed this was going to happen to this company. No because they had already file for protection with Chapter 11, but we had hoped they would be able to find someone to back them. However, there simply were not the resources with the economy the way it was and more simply, not enough time.

I know we will survive. All of us. I am as ready as anyone for some good news. I am ready for the bright spot. I hope it comes soon. I really need one.

But for now I leave you with this song, because it is how I feel...and Joshua Radin's voice always makes me feel better.

We are Okay



We are grown but cannot see
Lost our world of make believe
Simple times now seem so far
Used to be in my backyard
Yeah, the world was still in my backyard

But, we are okay, we are alright
We sing very loud,
Yeah, we're singing
We are okay, we are alright
Close our eyes, close our mouth
Yeah, we shut our eyes though we're in doubt

28 comments:

angi_b72 said...

Great song!! My heart goes out to your family. Being in the employment profession I see this everyday...it is a hrad unfair time for too many people!

Young Momma said...

Ugh! That sucks! I hope that they find new jobs ASAP! It's been such a hard time for so many people, and I know my husband and I have been feeling it. I thought Circuit City was already pretty much gone - as we have seen them close down left and right in my part of the "hood". I am truly sorry though, and I hope they find new jobs soon! (((hugs)))

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry that your family is going through a hard time. I hope they are able to find new jobs.

Laura Marchant said...

I am so sorry! I am just going to say it....that sucks!
I am just hoping and praying our country will turn around soon.

AndreaLeigh said...

what horrible news. i know god has something planned for your parents. i am glad they have two months to make plans and look for other work. i will pray for them.

Kelsey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and bonus dad's jobs! It's really too bad about the whole ordeal, I read the number of people being put out of work an it's pretty sad. I'm hoping that they are all able to find jobs fast!

JSue said...

This is my favorite verse...I know there is more to the Bible story surrounding it, but I also know that alone, the thought is still true!

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; HE will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deut. 31:8

...still praying!

Ballerina Girl said...

Good luck to your Mom and bonus Dad...I hope and pray that they will come through this without much harm.
BG

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this...it's hard to find anybody out there that this crisis isn't touching in one way or another...unfortunately some worse than others. I trust that something will turn up for them soon.

Anonymous said...

Joshua Radin is my absolute favorite. I saw him a few months ago perform live and he's coming again this month!! You could come visit me and we could see him together! ;)

So sorry to hear about your parents' jobs. :(

Sorry I don't visit her as often, I will start doing that more, but you have always been in my daily thoughts.

Tara Bennett said...

Joshua Radin is hands down one of my favorite artists. Oh my I can't get enough of his fabulousness!

Speaking of fabulousness, go grab your award over on my blog!

Eve said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation your parents are in.

It sounds like they have a lot of great career experience to carry them on to their next opportunities. Best wishes for them both!!!

Frizzy said...

My heart goes out to you and your parents. I just don't know when this is all really going to hit rock bottom. I'll continue to keep you and your entire family in my prayers.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That really does stink! I can't imagine what it feels like.

I love that you call him your "bonus dad!" You guys must have a great relationship!

mrsmouthy said...

I'll be thinking of your family. That totally sucks about her job. Here's hoping for the best though!

Lula! said...

Oh, my dear...I am so sorry. But I am loving your attitude...you inspire me.

And I adore Joshua Radin...perfect song for this situation. Yes, you are OK...and you'll continue being OK. I just know it!

Kerri said...

Life is very scary right now. I have never known so many people who have needed a job as I do now. I try not to get too scared. I hope your family finds something very very soon. I do believe we will all be alright!

kim said...

I hate hearing this..being on a job hunt myself, I do know how scary and uncertain life becomes once you have the ability to bring $$ into the house. It's very hard to stay positive, but we have to. take care :)

ko said...

wow..that has to be so hard! I cant imagine. times are tough, but God is going to get you through this! Focus on Him, and ask Him for direction! I again am so sorry....I wish there was somthing I could do to help them out!

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm so frightened by the economy lately. I graduated from college in May and have applied for nearly 200 jobs, and. . .nothing. I hope that will not be the case with your family and friends.

Thoughts and prayers,

sparkly jules

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out for your family.

Unknown said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you all... Gosh I hope things turn around soon...(I know we are all hoping..)

April said...

Hello Mrs. S...it's so nice to meet you. I'm sooooo excited about the Valentine's Day swap....I cannot wait to shop for you!

I will add your family to my prayer list this morning.

Gabriela said...

Sorry to hear about your parents-I hope something good comes out of all of it but right now it just sounds awful. :(

(thanks for visiting my blog-it's fun to "meet" someone else with a Brazil connection :) )

Ashley said...

Bless your heart. You and your family have been through so much. Lots of people are struggling now with this economy. My husband works for a car parts manufacturer so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

The inauguration of a new leader today gives me hope that things will begin turning around soon!

Cocaine Princess said...

Hang in there.

Crystal Rae said...

We just read about the whole circuit city deal, thats crazy.... way crazy! I'm sure they will be able to find something! :)

Fabiola said...

I do hope things get better soon.
Down here we are feeling the crises too...

Fabiola