Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tuesday Nothingness

Yesterday I was struck down by the sickness. I'm not sure exactly what happened. My family here attributes it to the fan...my husband likes to sleep with the fan on, even though it's not really hot here yet. Anyway I woke up around 2 coughing and was up the rest of the night coughing away and strangely enough needing to pee every hour or so. When I woke up around 6 with Sidnei, I was feeling achy and icky, but I just attributed that to the little sleep I got. When I was trying to get out of bed about 7:30 to go to my aerobics class I noticed that I was chilly and my body was really hurting. Which of course the alarms then went off (late I might add) that I must have a fever. Sure enough at 101.8, I was feeling lousy. So basically I stayed in bed ALL DAY LONG, with the aching. The fever wouldn't go down despite medicine and a shower. The cough came and went but it wasn't too bad. My fever finally broke around 8 pm or so. I felt human again.

My husband who is a sweet man, knew I wasn't feeling well, so when he came home, he had with him treats for the dog (which always wins him brownie points with me since he claims to not like the dog) and my favorite potato chips Thai Sweet and Chili. I'm not sure what possessed him to do this since I wasn't up for much eating, but it was sweet (and spicy..yum!) none the less. He spent the rest of his evening laying beside me fetching water and tylenol when desired.

Today I was going to do laundry, but there is no water in the street. Why? I don't know why. We still have a container at our house that gives us water until it returns (which will be sometime later today). I know it sounds strange. I think it is strange and I don't really get it. Do they shut it off or what? But it always comes back, thank goodness and now it is just one of those things I live with. Anyway when I do laundry Im going to do a post and show you all. So that way you can give your washing machine a little hug. My washing machine and I are going to be best friends.

Other than that I'm feeling lazy. (what else is new?) I have not made my grand entrance for the morning yet and I just wish I could stay in here forever. But I suppose I will go and get my butt in gear and help out (you know Cinderella style), get ready, and go to work. I have one of the coordinator watching my classes today. Keep your fingers crossed that they like it. Our old coordinator left and I have a feeling things are going to be changing..which isn't necessarily bad. I'll let you know. Until later friends...

10 comments:

AndreaLeigh said...

bless your heart, steph. i'm sorry you are not feeling well, and I'm sorry you have to deal with struggles to do everyday things that I know *I* take for granted. hugs!!

Corin said...

Lord Almighty, girl! Did you get dengue? It's not the fan. No matter how many times Brazilians tell you that fans can strike you dead, it's not the fan. Feel better!

Fabiola said...

Oh Stephanie, I hope you are feeling better. But as I start to read your post, I thought the same thing as Corin, don't you have Dengue Fever?

I hope things are doing great for you up there.

Unknown said...

Sorry you were sick Steph. I hate that. We sleep with a fan every night too, even in the winter. Chris likes the white noise and that fan right in his face, which is usually why he sleeps with his feet by my head. ha ha So I can relate to the fan. I love how superstitious the Latino people can be. Rhett tells me stories about that all the time. No the fan did not make you sick. ;)

I hope everything goes well with work!

Corinne said...

having had dengue, I must say that it would have wiped you out for TEN days, not just one. Sounds like a generic "virose" to me. Hope you are feeling better!

Tabitha Blue said...

Awwww, so glad you feel better. Sick is no fun at all. And what a sweetie!!! I love a man that takes care of his woman :) And wow, I wouldn't want to laundry especially if I had to go fetch the water either. Go you!

:)
~Tabitha

Amanda X said...

I hope you are feeling better! And I'm glad that Sidnei was there to take care of you!

xoxo

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Yuck..feeling sick is no fun. Glad S was there to make you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie. Just found your blog. I have been commuting from the US to Ipatinga for the past year. Immigration stuff you know. I enjoy your stories. Good luck with your process.


Paulo

Gillion said...

are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.