Saturday, February 21, 2009

Life and Cars... Part 1

Let's just say, as far as vehicles go, I have not been the luckiest girl in the world. Take for instance, 6 months after I got my license I totaled my first vehicle. The 93 Chevy Lumina. It was not COMPLETELY my fault, but I take the majority of the blame. We were VERY lucky. VERY.

The next vehicle was the love of my Dad's life. An 89 Toyota Pickup. It was burgundy with pleather seats. The clutch needed replacing and the gears nearly had to be slammed into gear, but it had over 200,000 miles on it. Now, I did not wreck this vehicle. However...it was put to death headfirst into a tree. At about 4:30 in the morning. Not by me. It makes me cringe to even think about the circumstances. I was such an idiot! (there was no alcohol involved by the way, just plain stupidity) Needless to say, I had to take the fall (the alternative was MUCH worse) and to this day, they still don't know the truth. And to this day, I will NEVER EVER live down the fact that I killed my Dad's heart the day the truck was totaled. (Nevermind the fact that he had totaled it TWICE before me and had it rebuilt each time!)

The next vehicle (are you surprised I even got another one?? yeah me too) was $400 and an 86 Chevy Lumina poo-brown station wagon. We bought it from a good friend of mine at school. It was lovingly named the shaggin wagon, but I can assure you it was not because of any extra curricular activities going on in that vehicle. It was ugly as sin, needed a quart of oil every couple of days, the ceiling was falling out, left a lovely dust on our clothes, and we drove it on a wing and a prayer. Thankfully, I did not kill this car. (Though the little sister mauled it with a rock..ask her.) But we were definetely glad to sell it off to another poor soul...

After that, I left for college and was without car. That is until my sister came out to school with me the following year. My parents gave us a 2000 Hyundai Elantra! I loved that thing!! I did not wreck this one either! Though little sister happened to get to this one too...and tried to play it off like it happened in a parking lot! AH HEM. She worked with a friend of mine, who happened to over hear her and she was caught red handed! But lucky for her, it was on it's last leg anyway. The transmission kicked the bucket (along with the radiator and thermostat) and that was all she wrote for that little beauty.

After the Hyundai went kaput, I bought my very first vehicle! A 2002 Honda Civic. I LOVED that car. It was beautiful and amazing. She was mine, all mine! Here she is in all her glory...the only picture I have of her! This was in Moab, UT at Jeep Safari (so that's why she is so dirty)!


I drove it until I moved back east. I traded it in before I came back because I worried about driving it cross country by myself. (This was right after the freak winter storm in New Mexico where the guy died trying to go get help for his family...it freaked me out because it was February, and you just never know!)

Stay Tuned for Part 2! It just keeps going and going...

Life and Cars...Part 2
Life and Cars...Part 3

11 comments:

Young Momma said...

I thought my car list was outrageous!!! I'm excited for part 2! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow - you actually got someone to buy the poo-brown Chevy after you had it? Amazing!

angi_b72 said...

that is bout as much as my moving list!! lol

April said...

I can't wait for part 2! I have a similar driving record....totaled out my aunts car 2 weeks after I started driving....UGH!

Kelsey said...

Oh my.
I've had my car for not even 3 months yet and I've already managed to hit my garage, hit another car, hit a wall, and again scratch another car. Thank God for touch up paint!!!

I'm happy to see that you've been okay even though the cars haven't necessarily been. Here's to better driving for the both of us!

Beth said...

My car list is just about like yours... maybe a little longer. :p

Awaiting part 2!

xoxo

AndreaLeigh said...

i've had some crazy car adventures as well, but nothing like yours! lol! love your civic. can't wait for the rest of the story...

Amanda X said...

HaHa! I totally forgot about your sister and me working together!!! Glad I could be of help!

Brandy said...

Laural Out Loud sent me your way...

Just stopping by to say hi!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You and cars really don't mix, do you? Off to read part 2!

Anonymous said...

Yikes--I've had a little preview of what's to come! I just wanted to say that my sister and I both won "Best Beater Car" our senior years...for different cars!