Monday, December 15, 2008

Puerto Rico

My trip was absolutely everything I expected it to be and more!! I really had a great time! My little sister came down Thursday night and got on a plane with me on Friday morning at 8 AM. We arrived in San Juan at 2:30 PM local time (1:30 PM EST). As you can see she is excited to be on this plane!We got a taxi that cost a small fortune took us to our hotel! We were anxious to get there and put away all of our bags so we could go explore!

We were staying in Old San Juan District. You know, cobble stone streets, beautiful architecture, etc. We get to the hotel and the lobby is BEAUTIFUL! It is all decked out for Christmas and the staff was really friendly! We get upstairs to our room and we are greeted by a room that smells like 50 old men were sitting around with brandy and a cigar (in our non smoking room, mind you)! YUCK. (and the smell NEVER got better.) But nevermind that, I looked out the window and what did I see??? PETER PAN! (the marina was right outside our window...it made me laugh...I actually had NO idea what this guy was doing!



So off to exploring we go! We went down to ask the concierge about some things to go see in walking distance on the island. He went through a lot of things, showed us a map, confused the heck out of us, and off we went! So really we just walked. A lot. And ended up nowhere. But we had a lot of fun in the process! We came across this overlook, with about a 50 foot drop into the ocean. Dangerous yes, but beauty comes with a price my friends!




We went into a few stores, walked around the town. Called it a night, but not before we found a Cold Stone! And of course had to get ice cream! We went to our rooms, tired and worn out, and decided the rooftop pool and hot tub was the night cap we needed!

I was so excited I could barely sleep the night before! I had trouble sleeping that night too. And despite the smell, the bed was REALLY comfortable. I loved it! I have a lot of issues going and sleeping in other places because of my back, but there were no problems!

The next morning I got up at 6 AM to get ready! I wanted to take a picture of me before I left to see Mr S, so I could show you the outfit (though it is hard to take a body length picture of yourself, so this is all you get!) and so I could send him a copy this week too!!


The process to getting in to see Mr S was quite the hassle interesting. It is a different experience to be in a place where all the social rules are different (and I mean this is just standing outside with all the women and children waiting to get in) and not being able to communicate at all well with others.

I arrived at 6:50 AM to begin the processing, and finally saw Mr S two hours later. I was watching all these different people walk in and I was so nervous! I kept thinking, oh my gosh, is that him? Am I going to recognize him? Why I was worried about that, I have no idea.

The minute he walked out, my heart leapt into my throat. He walked over to me and wrapped me up in the biggest hug. I cried my little heart out. (it makes me cry just remembering it) I have to tell you, even if some of you think it's sappy or mush or what have you...in that moment, everything was righted again. Literally I felt whole again.

We sat down, he was crying, I was still crying. Let me tell you, it was so odd, for the first few minutes to look at Mr S while he talked to me. When you talk to someone for nine months on the phone....well I just don't know how to explain it except to say that I sat there thinking, there he is. I knew he was there all along, this is how it's supposed to be. My God, I have missed that face.

I got to stay with Mr S for six hours. We talked, we laughed, we cried, laughed some more. The one thing I can tell you is everything else melted away. The other people, the noise, the guards, and for those few hours (despite the fact I had to sit across the table from him) everything was right. I was SO happy. Except there was to be minimal kissing (at the beginning and at the end), which does not suit me well at all, but I got a few in here and there. HA.

Leaving was terrible. It was so hard. I just wanted to stay with him, to be with him. It is so hard to walk away from someone you love, and leave them in such a terrible place, knowing that you are going back to your family, to safety, to life. I tried to be strong. I didn't cry a lot in front of him while leaving. I bawled the entire way home in the taxi (well except every other minute that I feared for my life--crazy drivers) and in the hotel. Mr S called me later and of course he could tell I had been crying. But he had good news! They had more visitation tomorrow from 12-3! I was so excited! My plane didn't leave until 4:45! I would have to leave early, but I'd be able to come!

I didn't actually get to see Mr S until almost 1, and I had to leave at 2:30, but I was so happy to have that little bit of extra time with him! It was like a little bonus! We really had a wonderful time together. We talked a lot about the future, our lives together. It is my deepest hope that we are going through this now and are able to find our happily ever after. That we continue to have the kind of love that they talk about in stories.

I know this has been a long post, but thank you all for being our cheerleaders and following along! I hope that I am back next month and that I can finally bring him home and start our lives!
Lastly, let me say this: I love my husband. He is by far, the best thing that has happened to me. I love him more than I day I married him, more than I did yesterday, and I will love him more tomorrow than today. I always feel a little guilty, but he is my strength. He guides me, he lifts me up, he tells me to be strong, to pray, to continue because it will all be over soon. He makes me want to be a better person every day so that I can be the kind of wife and mother he knows me to be. Whatever challenges we face, I know that we will always conquer them together, and that he will always be there for me, no matter what it might be. If I walk to the ends of the earth, he will always walk right beside me. He is my heart, my best friend, my eternal companion.

28 comments:

Wep said...

Girl you look GORGEOUS in that picture!!!! Well, all the time too I bet ;) I'm so happy your got to see your other half :-)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You look stunning! And, I'm sure he thought the same!

I hope things get resolved quickly and you get your man home!

Unknown said...

Oh, sweetie, I am so happy it went so well for you!! Yay!!

And look how gorgeous you are!! So pretty :)

Anonymous said...

It has been amazing to feel like a part of your amazing, unique story. It's so funny you were afraid you wouldn't recognize Sidnei--I think I would have worried about the same thing! You two are the couple of the century and I hope you'll be together (without the table) soon soon soon soon soon!!!

Stephanie said...

I am SO glad you got to see him! It sounds like it went well, and you looked absolutely stunning!

Vanessa Rogers said...

Oh my goodness! How absolutely wonderful. It will all work out in the end to a happily ever after wont it! That is what I pray for us as well! I am so glad you got to see him, even if it was for such a short time.

ko said...

WOW! That was a BEAUTIFUL POST!!!!!! That is so wonderful you guys were able to see each other!!! WOW! You looked GORGEOUS!!! I am sure his HEART stopped beating for a few seconds!!!!! WOW! I would love to send him a Christmas card........my email is sofipris@aol.com

I am so happy for you!!!

AndreaLeigh said...

What an awesome post! A little bit of sunshine in the trials of marriage, you could say. You look beautiful, and it sounds like this was exactly what you needed to make it through these next few weeks. I am praying that the end is near! Hang on, girlie!

I am really so happy for you.

nikkicrumpet said...

BOY OH BOY did you look gorgeous! I bet he was so happy to see your face. Do you have any idea when this will all be over? I sure hope it's soon so you two can be together again like you should be. What a sweet story!

Kori said...

Ok thanks for the tisuue warning.

I am so happy you got to go and see him. It just warms my heart.

Kori said...

Ok thanks for the tisuue warning.

I am so happy you got to go and see him. It just warms my heart.

Kerri said...

Oh,I'm so happy that you got to see him! it's a bout time. And I really hope he gets to come home soon. Keep the positivity!

Ashley said...

Oh, yay! I'm so happy! So happy that you finally got to see each other! That must have just been an amazing few hours... that probably went by way to quickly. But soon enough you'll be together - and you'll be together forever! How great! It will definitely be worth the wait! I can't wait to hear how things go next month.

Amanda X said...

So...As I'm reading this I'm sitting here crying my little heart out at work. I am so happy for you. And what a blessing to be able to see him again the next day! Everything seems to be looking up for your guys and that is fantastic!


I love you and I pray that all is going well and your man can come home to you soon!

Lula! said...

Oh, this has MADE my Christmas. It has...I appreciate a good love story, and yours is one of the best.

So glad y'all got to be together...so thankful...

Laural Out Loud said...

Green is a great color on you! But I bet he didn't even notice what you were wearing, lol. I bet he couldn't keep his eyes off of your face. SO glad you two had a great time together!

Unknown said...

Sweetie... i'm so glad you got to see him. I only get to see Mr. B once a month and THAT is killer... I can't even imagine what you're going through but you are SO amazing!!!! I so admire your attitude about how this will make you guys stronger...

I just see the two of you on a Christmas day 40 years from now and your grandkids begging you to tell them the story again...

Unknown said...

I am SO SO SO happy that you got to go and have this experience. I bet he was just as happy to see you as you were to see him.

Can't wait until you get to see him come home.

Crystal Rae said...

You look so good. And OMG i was totally tearing up on your post. I think that is so great that you got to see him, and 2 times. I am continuing praying for his quick return home to you!

Unknown said...

I will never complain about my husband being gone again. I don't know how you do it girl... really.

I am glad you had a great trip and extra time and I pray, pray, pray that you can be back together VERY soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, Stephanie! And tihs post also made me cry... I know how it is to be away for so long, and when you finally see the person you just look at his face, to convince yourself that he is really there!

I really hope Sidney is able to get out soon!

Hang in there!

Hugs!

marina said...

I am so happy for you ") marina

Eve said...

Oh my goodness. I found your blog through SITS and I'm so glad I did. I teared up reading this post and I am just so happy that you were able to visit.

I plan to follow (if you don't mind) - now that I've started reading, I won't be able to stop until your Love is safely back where he belongs!

My prayers are with you both!

Amy Kay said...

Oh you mademe cry just reading your story. I saw that you are a member of the LDS church, just like me. I want you to know and remember this: What you are going through right now, is only a pin prick in earthly time. You get to be with this wonderful man of yours for ETERNITY! When you are down and upset, just remember this too shall pass, and you will be together forever! I want to find that mand that I can be with for eternity again someday. Good luck to you and my family will keep you in our prayers. Love and hugs, Amy ;)

I'm glad you were able to go and see him. That must have been a wonderful reunion. You are a gorgeous couple.

Heather said...

You're making me cry just reading this post.

I'm so glad you got to see him, so angry on your behalf that you need to suffer like this at all.

I'm sure God has a plan in all this; I can't wait to find out what it is!

I'm praying for Him to hurry up about it, though :)

Tara Bennett said...

This post just made my whole night - week - possibly month. I am so happy you got to see Sydnei and that he got to see you looking so GORG!

Too bad kissing (etc) was kept to a minimum but you'll have eternity to make up for it!!! ;O)

You are so amazing and strong. You will make it through this. I promise.

Unknown said...

Yay Steph!!! What a pretty place. I am so glad you got to see him and had a little extra time with him! It sounds like you really apperciated every minute you had with him. What a blessing to be able to see him. I am praying that January will bring good things and he will be with you in no time at all!! :)

Love you!

P.S. You look beautiful in your pics!

Ronnica said...

I'm so glad that you got to see him!